“I've always wanted to work in a bike shop as I’m a massive enthusiast. Cycle Republic gave me that chance.” Ed – Bike Mechanic
- There’s a lot of employers out there... What made you choose us?
I've always wanted to work in a bike shop as I’m a massive enthusiast. Cycle Republic gave me that chance.
- Tell us a bit about your role…
I’m mainly a Cycle Mechanic, but every now and then I do some shop floor duties too.
- What do you get up to on a typical day?
Mainly servicing clients’ bikes and ordering speciality items but every day can be a little different.
- What’s the best thing about working here?
It's the guys I work with! Everyone is professional and down to earth. It can get hectic at times, but we all know how to handle that challenge.
- What challenges have you faced and how did you deal with them?
I would say the biggest challenge is keeping everyone happy. There is no one way of dealing with different problems. That's where you have to think on your feet.
- Tell us about the training and development...
For me it was quite intensive. As this I my first ‘bike job’, there was a lot to know but the training was consistent and the trainers were very patient.
- What's been your biggest achievement?
Coming up through the ranks. I started as a bike builder and then got the training to be a mechanic. I still have a way to go.
- What do you think makes someone successful at Cycle Republic?
I think you need to be patient and listen to your colleagues and clients.
- And, to anyone thinking about applying, what would you tell them?
You will meet a whole bunch of different people in this line of work. I think you should just go for it. I did and it was the best thing I've ever done! Good luck!